Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chapter 9 Not Exactly Ocean Front Property

"Hey Ernest."
"Yeah Reader?"
"Why can't we ever go to a paradise?"
"What do you mean?"
"Why does it always have to be miserable.  It's always humid or hot or cold or-"
"We went to the ocean that one time."
"That wasn't exactly a paradise."

Ernest rubbed at his eyes and looked beyond the pine tree's shade.  Beyond that shadowy shelter was hell.  He squinted at the horizon and frowned.

"Here it comes again.  Bundle up."
 

At first it was a slow breeze.  Hot.  Dry.  And filled with stinging shards of sand.  Then the wind began to howl.  Louder and louder till it drowned out all sound except for shallow breaths and sluggish heart beats. 

Even though I wrapped my face completely in cloth, it feels like sandpaper is scouring my face.

The pair huddled close together despite the heat.  Each trying to cover the other to reduce the sand blast. 

Almost feels futile.  The sand gets into everything.

The wind kept howling.  The only time keeper was their heart beats.  The wind went on and on - then on some more.  Finally it began to die down till there was only silence and the sound of sand frying in the sun. 

Or is that us?

Reader kept those eyes shut.  More like they're glued shut.
Ernest was already moving.  Reader heard shuffling, but didn't move until Ernest tapped Reader on the shoulder.  Painfully those eye lids opened to the glare of light coming in from outside their shelter.  Ernest had dug them out of a sand mound that had built up around them. 

Ernest pulled Reader up then waved at something in the distance. 

Can't see anything.  Too much glare.
  There he goes.  Got to keep up.  Don't want to lose him.

The full heat of the desert hit the pair as soon as they left the safety of the pine tree's shade.  Reader could feel what little sweat they had evaporating.  Could hear it burning off into the thirsty air. 

Thirst.  Water.  Just thinking about it makes it hurt more.  That small conversation we had dried out my mouth.  I can feel my blood sluggishly moving through my body.  Even blinking my eyes hurts.  Can't see anything.  There is so much heat it's like looking at a fog. 

The next few steps dug grooves into the sand.

Ernest looks like a thin stalk of shade, dancing and splitting with the heat waves.

Heat wave.  So thick.  Can't see. 

When did I lay down? 

The sand is cooking me alive.

I can't...

I can't get up...


I can't see...

-*-

I feel cold.  It feels good.  Then why am I afraid?

Crawling through the dark.  Something holding me.  Are my eyes open? 

Are my eyes open?


I smell something.  So sweet it hurts. 

"Reader would you stop flailing around.  You'll make me spill it."

Ernest pinned down the questing hand with his knee and dripped water on Reader's face.  Each drop caused Reader to shake in response. 

"Come on open your mouth.  There we go.  Try to sip it.  If you drink too much too fast you'll throw up." 

Cold.  Clean.  Water.  It feels like my whole body is cracking at its touch.

I can hear something...  cracklecracklecrackle...  a fire?  But it was so hot earlier.

"You fell down from heat exhaustion.  Almost had heat stroke.  We're lucky.  There was a small grove of trees and there was a bit of water under their roots."

Reader slowly turned that weary head to see Ernest clearly.  Reader could see the scuff marks and mud on Ernest's hands. 

What would we do without them?

Reader looked around.

Are we in a cave?

"After I got some water in you I was able to get us here.  We'll rest here for now.  The cave doesn't get that much sand and there is plenty of water in the pool.  After you've warmed up we'll head out."

"Hey Ernest..."
"Yeah?"
"Is there even anything out here?"
"Sure there is.  Well.  I know of this place and one other.  I don't go exploring needlessly since it's so harsh here."
"What's the other place?"
"A town."

Reader thought for a moment in silence.  It seems rather unbelievable.

"A town... really?"
"Oh yes Reader.  There is a town."
"Why couldn't we have started in the town?"
"I don't know Reader.  But I'm assuming... We'll soon find out."