Saturday, January 28, 2012

Chapter 11 Cavernous Caverns

When was the last time I saw light?  Even the creepy green light?

"How do you know we're going the right way Ernest?  It's so dark in here."

Ernest moved around another column of stone and helped Reader up a ledge. 

"There's a small bit of moving air coming this way.  So an exit to the surface has to be in this direction."

Whoa almost slipped.

"How long have we been traveling through this maze anyways?  It's so cold in the cave that I'm shivering.  Ernest?  Ernest?"

Oh no, I didn't fall behind did I?  The darkness really emphasizes how lonely one can be.  Can't even see in front of my face AAAH SOMETHING JUST GRABBED ME-Oh.  It's just Ernest.  I can see him now thanks to... ooo~...  What are all those shiny specks?

The ground looked like a night sky filled with stars.  Spilled along the path were glittering specks of white and blue.  The air was damp and the ceiling gave the largest of surprises.  A shimmering curtain of white stretched from one end of the path to the next.  Long strands of moist light dangled in the darkness. 

"Remember Reader.  No touch."

Right. Right.

Ernest demonstrated why.  He took their used up torch and poked one of the strands.

Siiizzzzzzz*crack*pop*izzleizzle.

"Must be a kind of acid."
"Ernest wait, what about the shiny specks on the ground?  How are we going to get through?"
"Those," he bent down with a squint and stood up with a nod,  "Are crystals.  You have shoes on so it shouldn't be a problem.  Keep your head low and move quick."

Taking a few deep breaths the pair grasped hands and rushed forward.  The further they got the stronger the breeze felt.  Twists and turns in the path churned the air, causing the deadly strings to snap and flex.  Drops of acid singed hair, clothing and skin.  Ernest's ever strong pull kept the pace brisk.

Just keep breathing.  Just keep moving.

At the end of a long stretch was a pulsing green glow.  It felt as if the path stretched with each forward step.

Are we making any progress!?  Ow!  Aaahrg that stings.

Then finally...

No more acid things!  Lots of green light.  It's those earthy mounds again.  All dotted with green specks. 

With no immediate danger the two took several painful breaths and looked around.  Ernest was the first to spot a shaft of yellow light coming from a far ceiling corner.  The pair looked up and could see that the light was indeed an exit, but the shaft of light only hit one side of the cylindrical space.  There were handholds, but a lot of them were out of reach. 

Hah..hah... I feel so tired.  And the exit is so far away.  Think I'll take a seat.  Despite being in this cave we haven't found much drinking water.  What water we found came from drips from the ceiling.  We did find pools, but like those white glowing strands they were filled with acid.  That burned out torch has really gone through a lot with all the poking we've done with it.  If it wasn't for that stick, I might've burned away in a pool of acid.  With our noses so clogged up with sand we couldn't even smell the poison gas pockets.  Amazing we even got here-!!!!

"AAAH! WHAT WHAT JUST -"

Reader jumped away from that spot and searched the shadows. 

"There Ernest! There!  It's-It's-"
"It's just a bug Reader."
"Oh...Whew.."
"How are your burns doing?"
"Burns?  Oh yeah those.  Now that you mention it Ernest, they still sting."
"Alright come over here."

Ernest was taking the charcoal end of the torch and smudging his hands with it.  The soot was rubbed into the acid-burns.  No more pain just dirty stains.

"How come the charcoal makes the pain stop?"
"I don't know Reader.  I'm not sure that this would work in other cases.  After all, we're in the middle of a homework assignment."

I'll have to look that up later then.  Assuming it would work at all.

"How do I look?"
"As incomprehensible as ever Reader."

What does that mean?
And what is up with this place... Something is off.  It's uh.  Now that I think about it, it's a little noisy.  Must be all the insects. 

Ernest was moving around the cavern in thought.  Their exit was so close, yet with no way to see into the shadows they were stuck.  The stick was no good for a fire...  Too little wood.  Even if it took a light, the whole thing would burn up too quick.  Needed something else for light.  Ernest watched the insect activity for inspiration.  In a shimmer of light reflected off gossamer wings, he could see a bug land on one of the mounds of earth.  It was attracted to the green glowing light then cracklecrunch it was gone.

He gave a defeated sigh and had Reader stand near the shaft of light. 

"It's a good thing that when you sat, you didn't decide to lean back into one of the earth mounds.  I see the look you're giving me.  Well here's another good reason why we don't touch things, but I'm going to have to break the rule for us to get out of here."

Ernest pulled out the stick and with a knowing look and motion he emphasized the watch carefully.  First use stick.  Next, poke mound *cracklecrunch*What the???

He struggled a little bit, yanking on the stick until something finally gave way. 

Hah he fell on his ass.  Hahaha, EWW WHAT IS THAT?

On the end of the stick was a large grub glowing sickly green and trying to devour the wood.  Ernest kicked the thing off the stick and speared its wriggling form.  It gave a near comedic death twitch then went limp.  Very carefully Ernest poked and prodded with stick and claw getting a few more of the plump fist sized things out of the earth mounds and onto the cave floor.  He ripped off the biting heads of those he couldn't safely put on the end of the torch, and stuffed the rest of the glowing flesh into his pockets. 

The resulting torch did give off light.  As well as unhealthy green glowing liquid.

"Don't know if they're edible, but maybe they'll be useful later."
"Ernest.  Some of the ones on the stick are still twitching."
"So they are.  I can see you don't really want to hold our new torch.  Fine.  I'll carry it.  Just try not to take forever climbing the wall."

Hey we did some climbing earlier.  I might not be the best climber in the world and might not have super claws, but I have confidence.  I can get up this...  I think.

Yuck Ernest don't have that thing so close to me.  Oh there's a low hanging hand hold.  Alright wall it's me and you.  Me and you rock wall.  Me and you.

You know it's moments like this when your limbs feel like lead. 

"Reader..."
"Alright alright I'm going."

No matter how disgusting it might seem with glowing ooze splashing all over Ernest, the light the grub torch provided was good enough.  Reachable hand holds became easy to spot and Reader made swift progress up the shaft.  Ernest would patiently wait with claws extended, then jump from hold to hold to catch up.  After another impressive feat of free hand leaping, Ernest tried to extend the torch out to reveal a stubbornly distant hand hold for Reader.  That's when things started going terribly wrong.

"Alright I see it now.  Hey Ernest we're more than halfway there!  This isn't so bad."
"Please Reader, refrain from saying those-*rumblerumblerumblerumble*  Great..."
"Hey what's all that weird chittering noise?"
"Just climb Reader! Climb!"

Reader snuck a peak down below and quickly regretted it.

Sometimes you want to see what is chasing you.  This isn't always such a good idea.  It slows you down.  You want to know what's chasing you?  Death.  That's what.

From the tunnel filled with deadly acid curtains came a horde of flying insects.  It was as if the god of disgust just vomited into the cavern.  The swarm was immediately set upon by an even scarier swarm.  From the earthen mounds erupted the grubs.  Their glowing forms acting as irresistible lanterns, attracting bug after bug into their slimy jowls.  The maggoty things chomped with their maws and grew larger.  Then larger grubs came out from holes in the wall and ate those grubs.  And then the whole nasty mess looked up.

"Oh God Oh God Oh God-"
"Hurry up Reader!"
"I can't!  The edge keeps crumbling.  Aaah-I can't get a grip!"
"Come on Reader, get up there!"

Another glimpse down to snatch a nightmare.  Ernest just kicked a grub half his size down into the writhing mass below.  The grub torch's light was fading.  A small swarm of insects covered the bioluminescence, causing the nightmare scene to flicker in and out. 

Come on come on.  I can just see the blinding light from the exit.  But I can't reach!  Each time I find a new hand hold it crumbles.  Wait! There!  That one in the sunlight looks solid.  Ow-it burns.  Of course it would.  Ignore the pain.  Yes.  Now uuuunggg...  Come on... owowowowow- Perhaps if I just throw myself forwa-aaaAAAAA-

-AAAAHaa... Hah.. I'm up!  Ernest!  I'm- Flying?"

*Thud*
Ow, a bit of a rough landing.  I forgot how hot it was out here.  Oh yuck I got sand in my mouth already?  Spit this stuff out pwffpet-pet-pweh-bleh.

"Ernest you didn't have to throw me out of there, I could've gone out on my own."

I have to shout to be heard.  Where is that noise coming from?
Let me just pat off this dust.  Can hardly see with all this wonderful light. 

"Reader! Get away from the entrance!"

Oh yeah. 

Despite knowing better, let me look behind me as I run forward.

The inconspicuous sliver in sandstone gave birth to a wave of maws.  Reader moved just in time to dodge a particularly large specimen which attempted to take a chunk out of Reader's face. 

The ones trying to eat me as I run look different from the smaller grubs from earlier.  They have black faces and green glowing stuff drips out of their mouths.  Amazing that I can even think this calmly considering how many teeth are chasing me.

The swarm rolled over each other, trying to reach the running fleshy morsels just out of reach.  A sound reminiscent of cooking sausages pop-popping reached Reader's ears.

Why do I keep wanting to look back? 
Okay just a quick glance.

Their skin is blistering.  The ones on the outside are trying to get shelter from the sun under the flabby bodies of the others.  It looks like those that don't make it die.  Well maybe I can take a breather now.

Nope.

They're still coming!

Oh no, why did I slow down, this one is about to bite me!

A swift foot crushed the grub's face. 

"Keep running Reader!"

Another grub replaced the first and lunged for Ernest.  He back peddled, taking a swipe at its face first with claw and then with the pitiful remains of their torch.  The scent of glowing life fluids caught the creature's attention.  Ernest beat it on the face once more for emphasis, then threw it back into the rushing horde.  It immediately gave up on the more elusive prey and rushed to gobble up the torch.

Only for it to be torn apart by the other grubs.

What are they like sharks?  Smell blood on something and attack it?  It's not stopping the entire swarm, more are coming.

By now Reader's eyes have adjusted to the harsh sunlight which is in fact not as harsh as remembered.  Of course you don't need me to tell you that, you can see that for yourself.

Now that I can see things clearer, where are we?  There's stone to the left.  Looks like a broken wall.  On some kind of path, mostly cleared though it has a slight angle to it.  What looks like a drop to the right.  Nothing to grab onto over there.   

Sand everywhere.  

Mostly up.   

The sun is broken apart by waves of sand gushing over the walls from the left.  It's creating something like a fragmenting tunnel.  This must be the source of all that noise.  It's like a waterfall underneath this thing.  Just sandier.  I'm surprised that I can hear the horrible sounds of flesh being torn apart from behind.  

This would be a lot more interesting if I wasn't fearful for my life.

No need to look back.  I know what's behind me.

Wherever the sun broke through the sand barrier up above, it burned the moisture right out of the skin.  Ernest and Reader ran through the tunnel of sand at a brisk pace. 

I'd like to think of this as a brisk pace.  In truth I feel like going to fall over from all this heat.  Even in the partial shade its hot.  I'm burning and panting and getting dizzy and I'm still alive as death rapidly gains on me.

STOP!

A wall of sand rushed from the left, blocking the path with its abrasive surface.  Reader coughed from the creeping dust. 

It sounds like something is burrowing.  I don't like that sound.

"Reader I'm throwing you over."
What-"AAAAAAH! OW the sand burns!"  Got to focus on landing.  Oh no... there was a drop off here.  Reach REACH REAAAACH!
"Oumph.  Ow my chest.  Ow my everything.  Emph... Whew, I'm clear.  Ernest?"

Reader turned around and saw the sand wall starting to break apart. 

There he is.  That is a lot more grubs then I remember.  Oh here comes now.  Nice jump.

"Hey Ernest, thanks for-huck AAAAH!! -"
He threw me again.  Wait.  This is one of those slow motion moments you see in movies or games all the time.  I can feel my senses tingling as everything becomes so clear.  So either I'm about to die or about to make an awesome escape from-hey... those grubs weren't there a second ago.  Ah.  So they came out of the wall, interrupting my speech and Ernest's quick reflexes-
"- Omph *thunk* ow ow ugh, I hit my head that time...  Oh I'm being dragged! Help Ernest Help!"
"Get back up Reader, they're gaining on us."
"Oh it's you.  Hahaha.  For a second there I thought a grub was going to take me down one of those holes at the bottom of these cliff drops."
"Reader, we'd move faster if you got up."
"No, this is actually not so bad.  Being dragged around like this.  I think I'll just-"

He threw me again.

This time as Reader got up, a new sand wall separated the two.  Ernest looked quite torn up and exhausted.  Even desperate as the new barrier closed. 

That's a lot of grubs on that side.

Oh man it sounds like a horror movie over there!  What's that sound?  Liquid hitting dirt? Flesh being ripped?  Oh man oh man.

"Ernest you alright!?  Ernest!"

Now that I think about it I'm kind of thirsty and hungry.  No no no, I can't be thinking about that now!

"Ernest!"

The sand wall fell.  Ernest stood amongst a pile of grub corpses, splattered in their glowing gore.

That look he's giving me.  He really... looks like a 'demon' now.  Is he mad at me?

*dry gulp*

"H-Hey Ernest you made it!  Oh let me step aside and let you land.  You really showed those grubs a thing or two.  Glad you didn't lose any fingers or anything.  Hey! Wait up!"

Awkward silence here.

"Hey uh, Ernest... You not mad at me or anything right?"

Aaaah why doesn't he say anything?  I'm dying of thirst here too you know!

Wha! The sand tunnel is collapsing!

Despite their best efforts the two got buried in a flood of hot sand.  When the dust settled enough for conversation, the pair continued on their walk.  No longer was there the thundering roar of high speed winds.  No more grubs chasing them.  No more burrowing monstrosities trying to grab them from the walls.

No more conversation.

They finally stopped in the only bit of large shade they could find on the sandstone cliff.  A large column overhang of collapsed stone.

Hey, I can see the town down there.  So we're... right above the town.  Like way-way up.  It's hard to think with all this heat.  High up.  Town's down there.  So what's the point of being up here?

"Reader."
He spoke!
"Y-Yes Ernest?"
"I get the feeling that you have something that you want to say?"
"Hahaha, well uh;; umh (what is he talking about??).  I wonder what that cooked meat smell is! Makes me hungry.  You know, since we haven't eaten anything? And-"
"That would be your feet Reader.  Your shoes got blown apart by the sand barriers."
My feet? !!!! He's right! Now that I focus on it the pain is unbelievable!  Got to take these melted things off, ugh..  How am I going to protect them now?

Ernest tore off a bit of his goop-covered clothing and started to bandage Reader's feet.

At first I was like Aw.  Then I was like ew it has that grub stuff all over it, what is going to do to my skin!? And then I was like, who cares it's actually cooling and mostly dried anyways.

"I don't think that's what you wanted to say Reader.  Go ahead.  Spit it out.  With whatever fluid you have left."

Now that I'm on the spot like this, I find that I don't really want to say anything;;; Oh man he's giving me that look!  Oh... Oh!

"It's just uh.. Well Ernest you see.  (Do I usually sound like this >_>?) Um.  *cough* I uh.  I'd just like to say.  *mumble*"

That look!!!

"I uh... Ernest.  C-Could you next time.  You know.  Give me a sign that you're going to, uh, throw me?"

Ernest put a firm hand on Reader's shoulder.

!?

"I'll try to keep that in mind.  Circumstances willing.  We've rested enough here, Reader.  Let's move."

What was with that tense atmosphere!  At least it's gone now.  Mostly.

"Well where are we going to go Ernest?  There's nothing up here other than sand and rock."

Yes I made a quick glance into the burning sky as I said that.  Just in case one of those birds wanted to make a statement or something.  Thankfully I don't see any.

"The sand was blowing from our left, right?"
"Yes Ernest, I was able to see that while running for my life.
"That means that we're in the lull between sandstorms.  Out here we're too exposed."
"If the sand comes from the other direction... Oh.  That is not good.  What're we going to do?  I don't want to go back into the caves.  Not after finding out what's in there."
"Our best bet Reader is to find shelter amongst these paths carved into the rock.  Maybe there's a safe spot.  Or maybe up above there's some kind of stone pillar we can hide behind."

So that's what they did.  For the next few minutes they tried to stay in the shade provided by the paths cut into the rock.  There was sand everywhere which made it impossible to see any good places to really hide.  The sun was relentless and they were running out of time.

Up we go, up we go-ow hothothot.

*Bump?*

"Wha..Ow. What's wrong Ernest? HotHot hooohooohooo."
"You're not going to like this Reader."
Get up here and see what all the fuss is about. 
"What Ernest?  What could possibly... ..."

Oh.
So that's what's been making the sandstorms. 
It's huge.
No Oh no - it's opening its mouth.  That must mean it's breathing in.  Oh no nono. 
I DON'T WANT TO BE EATEN BY A SANDWORM!

"HANG ON READER!"

Ernest grabbed hold of Reader just as the 'wind' snatched them both.  He dug a claw into the sandstone, but it crumbled away. 

This is like flying.  Or a theme-park ride.  The theme is getting snuffed up by a monster.

They tumbled through the air. 
Ernest holding Reader close. 
Sand scoured their bodies and hot air nearly made them faint. 
It was over in heartbeats. 
The world transitioned from blinding light to darker than black.


-*-