Friday, June 15, 2012

Chapter 12 Thirsty Work


Yuck.  It stinks like death in here.

Hmm...

Other than these thoughts...

I know I must still be alive, because my body hurts all over.

Are we inside the sandworm?  Are you telling me that we're still here, in this crazy sand place?  When is this assignment going to be over!?

"Ugh... Ernest?"
"I'm here Reader.  No, here.  Got you.  It's a little hard to stand, but try."

What's up with the constant rumbling?  What am I even standing on?  Is this a tongue?  This is the mouth? 

"Hey Ernest.  If we're in the mouth.  Then why haven't we been spat out during one of its breaths and splattered all over the desert?"
"I don't know Reader.  I suppose we'll find out."

Ernest looked around the dim area.  The faint glow from their gore covered clothing and novel footwear gave similar light to the torch they lost earlier to the grubs.  It did look like they were standing on some rough flesh.  It shifted when they stepped on it, leaving a slight sticky mucus on whatever touched it. 

Is there no end to the gross today?

The air was humid for once.  Enough that the difference created a distinct stink to fill the air.

Great to have that sense back right now.  Smell.  Woo-hoo.

Piles of sand were everywhere.  A few pin points of light either indicated a dead grub, its blood, or worse.  It was painfully apparent that they couldn't stay here.  Ernest gave a tired look at Reader and said, "Catch your breath, I'll be right back."

When Ernest returned he shook his head.

"There's no getting out that way.  Looks like we have to go deeper."
"I was afraid you were going to say that Ernest.  I really was.  Are we going to be digested?"
"Let's hope this isn't an anatomy lesson Reader."

Walking was difficult.  A rhythmic rumble would shake everything like a minor earthquake.  Between lapses they sprinted as much as possible.  It took a moment for Reader to appreciate the urgency.

What if the sandworm decides to shift its tongue? 

A slight incline welcomed their speedy feet.  Steadily it became easier to run, which is to say it became harder to slow down.  The mucus got slicker.  Before them was the abyss.  And straight down...

I really can't believe I'm doing this.
Do I really need to jump down there?
Whoa! I don't have a choice!

The surface shifted drastically. 
They fell in.

*

"Look at all that fun they're having.  Absolutely terrifying!  It must be nice to slide amongst all that wet mush.  How it stuck to the skin.  Like a spider's web.  And to be swallowed! Whole!  How sensual! I grow tired of waiting.  Hurry up precious's, I soon enter the spotlight!  How I hunger for that release!  Yes.  Come close.  Come to me..."

*

"No screams Reader?"
"Nope.  I'm trying to get used to this kind of thing.  I mean I knew I was running for the throat.  I knew this was going to happen.  This fall is taking a lot longer than what is-umph!"

There's stuff stuck to the sides? That was a tree-"OH SHI- Whew.  Hah! Dodged that one!"
Alright I got this.  Just dodge a bit to the left.  Okay now the right.  Ow, clipped my arm.  Oh great now the throat is constricting ow omph, safe, ow, not, ow, omph.

*snatch*

"Thanks for catching me Ernest."
"You're welcome Reader.  The last few obstacles looked painful."
"Is your shoulder alright?"
"What? This?" Ernest looked at his claws digging into a bit of lodged sandstone. "I should be good, Reader.  But this stone is going to-"

Crumble.  Here we fall again-Wait. That's a bunch of sand piled up, stomach finally?

They landed in the sand pile, only to realize that it was shifting heavily.  And something was there with them. 

Can't get a good look at it.  Is that some kind of vocal chord?  Oh man we're slipping closer. Oh goodness it's like a open/close trap in some action movie.  And something's there near it. A grub? No? Roughly... humanoid?  Twins? No, only looks like one.

Their struggles were picked up by the thing.  It turned two reflected eyes in their direction.  Ernest seemed mildly surprised and spoke, "You?  Is this where you were?"

"Ernest!  What took you so long?"

Wait.  They know each other?

"What - are you stuck here?  You look rather thirsty."

Did Ernest just do suspicious eyes? Should I be worried?

"Am I ever! Ernest, I've been trying to get out of this place for I don't know how long.  The sand kept piling up and it's at such an angle, it's near impossible to climb out.  I tried shoveling the sand down to reach the flesh walls, but it'd just swallow up a whole bunch of new sand.  And then there was all that breathing it does.  You got to help me out of this mess Ernest."

"How did you get stuck here?"

Trying to get a good look at this guy.  Kind of pale skin in some places so, the rest is sun tanned or burned.  Clothes all torn up.  Was that before or after?  It looks like that shirt is held together by safety pins.  Is that blood? 

"The last time we met, I was pulled into a solo assignment.  It was this thing again and the normal exits didn't work.  So I got stuck here and had to deal with the locals.  You know how they are.  Since I was stuck here I looked around a bit.  Especially at that mural."

"The Mural.  The one with the Twins on it."

"Yeah.  And I talked to the locals for a bit.  And well we found this secret passage."

"Found your torch."

"Oh did you Ernest? Well didn't have too much wood on me at the time and some of the locals weren't happy.  They kind of chased me through the cave.  And then there were the grubs."

"Yes, we met the grubs."

"So I noticed.  You got pretty friendly with them it seems.  Have their guts all over you."

"And then?"

"And then what Ernest?  Oh and then we got outside and the sandworm sucked us all in."

"Where are the villagers?"

"They got swallowed up down there.  I was able to catch onto this, what are these vocal chords?  Do worms have vocal chords?  Whatever it is, it saved my life.  Sort of.  Been stuck here ever since.  Been trying to not slide in there with all the sand.  Hmm?  Is someone with you?  I see glowing feet.  Oh?  Another player?  Is this a friend of yours Ernest?"

Ernest gave Reader a side long glance.

"Yes."

"Well are you going to introduce us?"

Yeah.  Who is this guy?

"Just a moment.  You said you were stuck here and trying to get out?"
"That's right Ernest."
"You ran out of clues which led you here?"
"Why yes.  I just said that.  I see that look in your eyes.  You figured a way out already?"
"I know what to do next."

Ernest kicked the person down into the throat.  Before Reader could even shout a question he grabbed Reader and jumped in.  Narrowly dodging the strange throat gate. 

The dizzying jutting obstacle dodging game was back.  With all its throaty glory.  In between nimble dodges, hops and slides, Ernest and Reader closed the gap between this newly introduced player; who was unfortunately not doing so well, banging into everything.  Painfully.  Oh what colorful curses flowed from his lips.

"Ernest who is that guy?  And how is he not dead from hitting his head on so many things?"
"That Reader.  Is the Vampire.  And he has a very, very hard head."
"Oh."

Ooh.

At last they hit a rock at the bottom.  Despite all the injuries on the way down, the vampire sprung up on nimble feet and raged at Ernest.  Ernest's response was to shove the vampire's face into the fleshy wall of the sandworm.  Fluid flooded out.  The tide quickly stemmed by a sucking sound.  Eventually the vampire broke free of Ernest's grasp.

"You didn't have to do that Ernest.  I can control my thirst."
"I just wanted to make sure Ioan.  I don't need there to be an accident."
"John?  The vampire's name is John?"
"Yes Reader.  It's spelled I-o-a-n.  Ioan Ironshrike.  Ioan, this is Reader."
"Yes, Yes. Hello.  Reader.  Strange name.  Ernest, you know how I feel about the drinking thing.  And then the whole kick thing?"
"I'm ... sorry.  Ioan.  It was necessary.  When you're less irritable you'll know that to be true."

Ioan took an agitated breath and let it out in a long sigh.  The irritation in his voice and anger vanished just as quickly.  It was amazing the transformation that occurred.  Especially after he ran his fingers through his hair.  Pulling the drenched mass up. 

Into a mohawk.

Ernest was looking around.  After the vampire collected himself, he too started to take in the surroundings with a practiced eye.  Their confident gazes and attentive appearance reminded Reader that these two were experienced at these assignments.  They had even played a great number of them together.

"I'm starting to see what you meant Ernest.  I feared a pit of stomach acid or something of that nature.  Seems that fear was unnecessary."
"Don't disregard it yet Ioan.  It may yet be coming.  Let's move forward.  ...  You coming Reader?"
Oh- Right. "I'm coming Ernest."

This vampire just took a beating and is walking it off.  Ernest has been through hell out there and is still going through this in good shape.  I don't know how I'm still in one piece being so tired and hungry and quite a bit thirsty.  Actually...  if the vampire is anything close to Ernest's strength and durability, or even stronger... Then why am I even here?

"Reader?"
Hmm?
"What is it Ernest?"
"I asked if you needed a break?  You alright?"
"Ah yeah. I just.  Was thinking.  You don't look like you want to pause-" Reader glances at Ioan who was walking ahead.
"-ah...  Actually.  I don't feel so sleepy anymore either."
"It's not that I don't trust him Reader.  I just don't want to wake up further in the stomach than I remember."
"I hear you Ernest, I hear you."  Right.  Stomach.  Either one.  Do not want.
"That... and if any of the villagers survived.  You wouldn't want to have them catch you off guard."

What kind of ...  actually. No imagination.  Stop thinking about that.  Don't make it worse than it might be.  Maybe they just like to play pranks or something.

*sniff*

I need a shower.

The ground rumbled.  No longer was their sticky mucus.  Instead, the fleshy surfaces gave off a harsh chemical smell.  It burned the lungs and teared up the eyes.  In the humidity the experience was overpowering.  Something was dripping from the ceiling.

Wait.  This.  This is a lot like the dripping acid cave.  Oh no.

"Ernest."

A clenched up bit of flesh wall behind them snapped open.  From it came a wave of bubbling fluid.

"That is not water!  Run!"

The trio ran forward.  Steadily the surface became filled with pools of acid causing their feet to burn.  The torrent behind them died out only for a new bit of flesh wall to open up and disgorge its contents.  The chamber [stomach] was slowly filling up. 

"There up ahead!"

Debris and sand piles stood out like islands of sanctuary.  They scrambled up the dusty isles, looking for anything sturdy enough and high enough to keep them away from the acid.  The actual run was not that long, but between the toxic air, previous exertions and the climb the group was exhausted.

Between pants for air, Ernest looked around.  Ioan too suddenly noticed something and glanced around warily. 

What is it that they're noticing?  I'm looking around and seeing just a bunch of broken up stuff and sand... and... is that fire?  There?  And there?  Did this sandworm eat fire?  Wait...  There's something wrong here.

"Reader, we're surrounded."
"By what exactly Ernest?"
Ioan grimaced something attempting to be a grin, "The villagers.  Guess I get my acid bath and reunion after all."



-*-